Facts about sleep and sleep disorders
You may know the importance of sleep, but I bring you, some specific facts about sleep that will spur up your sleep habit for a better output at work. Check out the following:
• 7 to 9 hours of sleep is required daily for healthy living and maximum output at work.
• Working at night leads to loss of 4-7 hours of sleep per week
• Losing 2 hours of sleep equals the effect of 3 bottles of beer
• Staying awake for 21 and 24hours is equivalent to 0.08 and 0.1 blood alcohol level, respectively. (where maximum limit of blood alcohol level in the united states is 0.08)
Tips for a better sleep
1. Understand your natural sleep pattern, to work as much as you can when you are most active.
2. Make you sleeping time and waking time as regular as possible
3. Ensure a regular eating habit, and eat a balanced diet
4. Engage in physical exercises
5. Avoid disturbance during sleep by informing family members
6. Don’t take alcohol, tobacco or caffeine before going to sleep
7. Your bed should be for sleeping not for reading or working
8. Take light food before sleep; snacks like cheese, cracker, and oatmeal with milk could help
9. While in the office ensure the light is bright, neutral temperature, quietness, and high level of comfort.
Sleep is a natural thing that should be enjoyed by all, but you know there is time for everything. Allowing sleep to interfere with work can be very detrimental and should be avoided. Although you can accumulate some sleep debts as work and situations demand, paying up as soon as you have the opportunity to sleep would increase your performance at work.
Written by: Kalu Agada