What is Nursing?
Nursing is a profession that assumes responsibility for the continuous care of the sick, the injured, the disabled, and the dying. Nursing is also responsible for encouraging the health of individuals, families, and communities in medical and community settings. Nurses are actively involved in health care research, management, policy deliberations, and patient advocacy. Professional nurses work both independently and in collaboration with other health care professionals such as physicians.
Who is a Nurse?
A nurse is a person who has completed a program of basic, generalized nursing education and is authorized by the appropriate regulatory authority to practice nursing in his/her country. The unique function of nurses in caring for individuals, sick or well in the performance of those activities contributing to health or recovery or to dignified death that they would perform unaided if they had the necessary strength, will, or knowledge and to do this in such a way as to help them gain full of partial independence as rapidly as possible (Henderson, 1977)
Roles of A Nurse
The nurse functions as a;
1. Care-giver: nurses care for the physical, social, mental and spiritual well-being of an individual by being empathetic, listening to their complaints, encouraging and advising them.
2. Counselor: nurses counsels and educates their clients on ways of improving their health and how to prevent diseases. This enables them (clients) to make an informed decision based on the information given to them by the nurse.
3. Advocate: as an advocate, nurses play an intermediary role between the client and other health care professionals (such as the Medical Doctor, Nutritionist, Physiotherapist or the Pharmacist). They advocate for clients right and serves as a spokesperson for their clients
4. Manager: the nurse plays an important role in ensuring a safe and conducive environment that is necessary to promote health and prevent diseases within the health facility. This is achieved by ensuring strict adherence to aseptic tech4to prevent the spread of infection
5. Researcher: Nurses are researchers, as they seek more ways and techniques of improving the quality of care rendered to clients across all age groups